Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Corn Plant (Dracaena) - Trimming

Is your corn plant getting too tall for the house? Before the corn plant reaches the ceiling it is best to trim it back. 



The best part is that by trimming the corn plant you gain a new plant. Here's my corn plant that I let grow way too tall.The small baby corn plant actually broke off of the large one when I let grow way too long in the house. I planted the baby one after it fell off of the top of the corn plant. (I know the leaves are turning yellow I think it's been getting too much sun since I moved it outside.)



So I decided to trim my corn plant back for the winter.

I typically start by taking a good pair of pruning shears that are large enough to cut smoothly through the stalk of the plant. Clean the pruning shears with some rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol to help prevent infection of the corn plant.

Next cut the stalk of the plant to the height you wish to trim it back to. The existing (rooted) corn plant should sprout new leaves just below where you cut it.
 

You can root the top of the corn plant (part you just cut off) by placing it in some water or well draining soil (keep the soil damp until it is rooted then water the corn plant well, but let the soil dry to about 1 inch  below the surface).

No comments:

Post a Comment